The illustrations below are excerpted from a sketchbook detailing a survey conducted in the early 1940s on the Clyde-Forth Oil Pipeline.
The underground pipeline was laid under the Forth & Clyde Canal towpath in 1918 as a joint initiative between Royal Marine engineers and American construction companies as a means of quickly and securely moving large volumes of oil from the storage facility on the Clyde and the naval base at Rosyth. The pipeline was in use until 1964 when a replacement line was opened on a different cross-country route.
The original artist responsible for these fine drawings is unclear. The sketchbook now belongs to Robert Webster of Clydebank, who was employed as a plumber by the Admiralty and was based at the former Dalnottar Tank Farm, near Dalmuir. Thanks to Stuart Gray of Scot-Scan Ancestral Research for his work in bringing the book to our attention.
There's lots to do at Lambhill Stables, and below are just some of the activities we have available. Get Involved!